Dec 01 2022
Pacific Island Instant Pot Sesame Chicken
Here’s another family favorite, honey sesame chicken made in the Instant Pot! It’s definitely one of the recipes that go in our monthly rotation, and we usually serve it with plain white rice.
The Instant Pot version is so quick and easy! The chicken is cooked in just 3 minutes on high, and the sauce turns out so thick, rich, and delicious!
What Is Sesame Chicken?
Sesame chicken is a dish that is usually found in Chinese restaurants in America. It’s a take-out meal that we used to get all the time before I realized how easy is it to make at home.
The sauce is mainly made with honey and soy sauce, so the chicken turns out sweet and just a little bit spicy. The sauce is made thick and rich so it glazes the chicken nicely.
Instant Pot Sesame Chicken Recipe
Make sure that you’re using boneless chicken breast for this, as chicken thighs won’t really work. Cut the chicken, and prepare the ingredient so it’s easier for you to make this.
For the sauce, you will need soy sauce (I recommend using Pacific Island Soy Sauce!), ketchup, hot sauce or sriracha, garlic, ginger, honey, and sesame oil. Some of these ingredients go in the pot before pressure cooking, and the rest are added at the end.
1 tbsp olive oil
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup Pacific Island Soy Sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/3 cup honey
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp scallions thinly sliced sesame seeds
1. Add olive oil to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function.
2. When oil gets hot, brown the chicken on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side. Meat will not be cooked through. Do not crowd the pot--you may have to work in batches. Transfer browned meat to a shallow dish and cover loosely with foil.
3. Add onion to the pot and saute until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
4. Add Pacific Island Soy Sauce, ketchup and red pepper flakes to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
5. Put the chicken back into to the pot, turning once to coat.
6. Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
7. Using the display panel select the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 5 minutes.
8. When the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure.
9. Carefully remove the meat from the pot to a cutting board and chop into bite-sized pieces.
10. Add honey and sesame oil to the pot and stir to combine.
11. In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup of pot liquid and cornstarch. Stir into the pot until thickened.
12. Add chicken back to the pot and stir to coat. Adjust seasonings.
13. Serve hot over rice, noodles or zoodles, garnished with scallions and sesame seeds.